A cousin sibling of mine migrated to Canada. Once she told me that all the Pakistanis, Indians, and Bangladeshis are known as the Brown people in the country. For me, it was some confusion as I never heard about these things. Like the other people, I was also not sure about the difference between Ethnicity and Race. After that, I searched about that and got a lot of new things along with some questions related to the Ethnicity.
In this article, I am sharing you the key points related to Ethnicity and Race. Other than that, I have also brainstormed more than 25 Ethnic Tag Questions for you. These Ethnic Tag Questions will help you to gain knowledge about different ethnic groups. They will also help you in understanding the norms, values, cultures, and traditions of the various people. Firstly, I have described Ethnicity and Race along with the differences between both terms. After that, you will see a list of Ethnic Tag questions which could be a fun and informative game to play with your new friends. Let’s begin now!
What is Ethnicity?
Ethnicity is a word, which is used to describe the cultural traits of an individual. It includes the identities ranging from traditions, norms, values, ancestral activities, language, religion, food, dressing, marriage, and etc in a specific region. Ethnicity as a term first appeared in The Social Life of a Modern Community. It was written by W. Lloyd Warner and Paul S. Lunt. In 1972, it found its way into the Supplement of the Oxford English Dictionary (Lachenicht, 2015). People sharing similar norms, values, and customs are believed to be a part of one ethnic group. According to different definitions, “Ethnicity has an anthropological nature because it has a direct connection with the learned behaviors and attitudes of a person. People also see Ethnicity as a bond in different countries and communities. They love to meet people who have the same ethnic group of theirs and they also enjoy their company.
Difference between Race and Ethnicity
For most of the people, ethnicity and race are the same things. They believe that race is the alternative word for the ethnicity. Even the dictionaries do not clearly describe the difference between these words. Due to this reason, they use ethnicity and race interchangeably. But, they are wrong. There is a huge difference between both words. So, before moving forward I would like you that what race is? The race is a word which is used to describe the physical characteristics and traits of a person. We all know that every individual in the world has a different pattern of genetics. All of them are natural and they decide the skin color, eye color, hair texture, facial structure, and everything which is physiologically related to the person. Stuart Hall, in his W. E. B. Dubois lecture in 1994, said that Race and Ethnicity play “hide-and-seek” with each other, but they cannot be replaced with each other (Lachenicht, 2015)
After this description of the race, we can clearly see the difference between both words. Some of them are as follows.
- The race is physiological in nature whereas Ethnicity has an anthropological one.
- The Race deals with the physical traits of a person, but the ethnicity is related to the learned norms and values.
- Ethnicity can be changed if an individual learns the characteristics of any other ethnic group, but race can’t be. For instance, Japanese- American person might consider himself as Japanese, but his customs and living traditions will decide his ethnicity for being American or Japanese.
- The people of the similar ethnic group can attain different racial groups. For Example, in India and Pakistan, people belong to a similar ethnic group, but they have different color complexions for skin and eyes.
- Race can be only one, but you can have multiple ethnicities.
- The race is not a self-controlled phenomenon, but ethnicity is a choice for an individual. For example, you can be Italian, Polish, Arab or Japanese, but you either have to be black, brown, or white. Here is another example of the same point. Suppose, a child born in Indonesia. She is adopted by a German family just after her birth. Her physical characteristics show that she is Indonesian, but her language, norms, and values are as of German. It means that ethnically she is German.
50+ Ethnicity Tag Questions
Now, here is a list of 50+ questions, which will help you in knowing about the different ethnic groups. Just take it as fun and a source of information, and do not involve yourself in any sort of Ethnicity or racism issues.
- Which ethnicity do you belong to?
- Which food represents your ethnicity?
- Which ethnic language you are perfect in?
- Do you have any ethnic name?
- Which phrase of your ethnic language is your favorite?
- Which clothes represent your ethnicity?
- Which drink represents your ethnicity?
- Which ethnic food does you like the most?
- Which sport represents your ethnicity?
- Which ethnic song you often listen?
- When was the last time you visited your homeland?
- Which place your homeland is your favorite?
- What three things you love about your country?
- Which household item represents the culture of your country?
- Which festival is a specific one for your ethnic culture?
- Which specific hairstyle represents your culture?
- Which specific jewelry represents your culture?
- Which part of the country do you belong to?
- Tell the traditional culture of your country to greet someone?
- What are three things hated in your ethnic culture?
- Which three ancient traditions are still parts of your culture?
- Which spice reminds you of your country?
- Tell three things about a traditional marriage in your country.
- Which season of this place reminds you the weather of your country?
- How often you wanted to visit your home country?
- Which occupation do people like in your country?
Some more Ethnicity Questions most of them geared towards to third-world countries
- What kind of food your people made on their events?
- Is there any food item that is a symbol of your country?
- Is there any national or cultural dress of your country?
- Do have any regional language?
- Do you have any historical places in your country that projects the past of your ancestors?
- What is the appropriate age of getting married in your country?
- Is love marriage allowed or easily acceptable in your country or culture?
- Do you have joint family system in your culture?
- What kind of career or job your culture promotes?
- Are you people into technology or stick to your cultural or old methods of workings
- Are girls allowed to get higher education in co-education environment in your culture?
- What kind of dresses you people wear on the funerals?
- Do you make your decisions or the head of the family decides everything?
- How your marriage ceremonies take place?
- How many events are there in your local or cultural weddings?
- Is your nation or people are hospitable or not?
- What was your total household income before taxes during the past 12 months?
- What best describes the type of organization you work for?
- What level of decision making authority do you have on purchasing IT related hardware, software or services for your organization?
- What drink you serve mostly when you have guests in your home?
- What kind of celebrations you do when you have a baby in your family?
- Are you people aware of your rights or you have believe in your politicians?
- Do you have a stable political condition in your country?
- What is the most used product of your country in abroad?
- Name a color or shade that represents your culture?
- Is there any special music related to your culture?
Ethnicity Tag Question Videos
Some very helpful videos related to Ethnicity for your help. All of the videos are really good and are from different regions of the world so to give you a good idea on how to make a great tag video.
Tag Questions – Where Am i From by Shahd Batal
Get to know me? Ethnicity Tag Afghan Vs Ethnicity Questions by Zaksafari
Ethnicity Tag Questions related to Indian or Pakistani by PARVEEN